Disease information

2000 - 2013  HIPERnatural.COM

A non - contagious form of severe food poisoning caused by ingestion of food contaminated with a toxin that seriously affects the nervous system.


The mortality rate is 10% to 25%.

The higher the dose of toxin and before symptoms appear, the more dangerous is the process.

There are no complications if treated quickly.


Lung infections as a result of the difficulty in swallowing and choking with food.

Respiratory failure caused by the weakening of the respiratory muscles.

When you return to intensive care may experience weakness, blurred vision or trouble speaking.

You may need a week more in treatment.

Diagnosis and Treatment.


Diagnosis is made by the previous intake of preserved in poor condition or raw foods. It is highly indicative that all the people who take the food suspect sick. He may carry out blood tests, and food suspects.


The treatment is medical.

Requires hospitalization in intensive care.

You may need a respirator.

General Measures.

Induce vomiting if you have not spent more than a few hours after ingestion.

If you suspect botulism, try something cool of the contaminated food to be analyzed.


Injections of botulism antitoxins prevent the deterioration of the process.

The antitoxin is derived from horse serum, which, though it can save lives, it has serious side effects.


Stay in bed during hospitalization.

After treatment, return to your normal activities gradually.


During hospitalization, and because of the difficulty in swallowing, often required the administration of food and fluids intravenously.

After treatment is not needed a special diet.

Risk Factors and Prevention.


Home - canned foods. The green beans are the vegetables that were contaminated with more ease. The very large pieces of meat cooked in the oven, as the "roast beef" may be too raw on the inside to destroy the toxin.


Key points:

Clostridium botulinum or its spores are ubiquitous, are everywhere.

Botulinum toxin is heat - labile; warming above 50 C destroys it.

The quantities needed to kill a person are slim, so make sure that ALL the food reaches the required temperature.

If a can is bulging or the content is peculiar odor or color, do not even TRY, shoot directly.

Do not eat any food that does not rely on the procedures for preparing and canning.

Do not add honey to food for their children or give them medicine against coughs that do not open at the same time (pull syrups after use and to respect their instructions for use)

Boil foods can help but ask about security measures for the proper preparation and canned food.

If you suspect that a trading preserved or canned may have botulism, contact the health authorities, to confirm and withdraw contaminated food from the outlets.

Signs and symptoms.

The following symptoms usually appear suddenly 18 to 36 hours after taking contaminated food:

Blurred or double vision.

Eyelid edema (swelling of the eyelids)

Dry mouth.

Difficulties of diction.

Vomiting and diarrhea.

Weakness in the arms and legs followed by paralysis.

Without fever.

Without alterations of mental faculties.

In appear children the following symptoms:

Severe constipation.

Weeping weak.

Inability to suck.


Contamination of food by the toxin, the most powerful known, produced by the Clostridium botulinum (related to the bacterium that causes tetanus) which grows in canned foods contaminated or poorly cooked.

The toxin is absorbed by the digestive system and affects the central nervous system.

The foods that can cause botulism include:

home - canned fruits and vegetables,

made little sausages,

smoked meats and.

dairy products.

In children under 1 year, botulism can come by the raw honey or other food without cooking.

The bacteria can also contaminate a wound and cause the toxin.

Related Products